Thursday, June 28, 2012

MANY THANKS TO ALL FOR YOU ENCOURAGEMENT AND COMMENTS

This last Tuesday, I think it was June 26, Meg and I left Free State Hostel after a restful night and the good company of Flicka, Daddy  Long Legs, and One. It was a perfect day for hiking, cool and breezy. We both felt good and made great time in the morning. For lunch we cooked our days dinner at Raven Rock Shelter, and continued on to the MD-PA. But my knee decided to act up at that time. It got increasingly painful to walk and  it was even difficult to get to Pen-Mar Park. We got off the trail there, and went to the Burgundy Lane B & B in Waynesboro, PA. They couldn't have been more helpful. Since then, I've been icing, elevating, and resting in general. All of that did not do much good, so this AM I went to an orthopedist and got the recommended cortisone shot. The PA's best guess is that it will help in anywhere from a few days to a month, if at all. Given that time line, and the fact that the arthritus isn't going away, I've decided to come off the trail for the time being. Not an easy decision! It's funny 'cause maybe I should feel bad about leaving the trail.  But I don't. I feel OK about coming home. I think it's time. I appreciate more that you know all of your kind thoughts and prayers for our hike. That had meant a lot and has helped us along. We have had some marvelous adventures and know what it's like to be on the trail for several months. It has been amazing. And who knows what the future holds. Edith and I may both be back on the trail sooner than either one of us thinks.

5 comments:

  1. Just in time. It's about to get freakishly hot, and that would make hiking a little less fun. Sorry for the disasters, but we'll all be glad to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morning!! I'm sorry to hear about your knee and having to leave the trail. Daddy Long Legs and I really enjoyed our time with you and Gingersnap! We hope you feel better soon and we're thinking of you! You'll be back out here soon, I just know it! If you want to keep up with us, my blog is journeyofafreedspirit.blogspot.com and Daddy Long Legs is appalachiantrail-daddylonglegs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the bad news but grateful that you and Edith and later, Meg, got to enjoy so much time together in such a wonderful environment. Ya'll had a marvelous adventure and enough memories for a lifetime. We are jealous! If you need to "come back down to earth," you can come help Cherie and I with a week of "infant swimming lessons." Serenity now! Eddie aka "The Original Louisiana Mountain Boy"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I am glad you came home too! I am sure it was a hard decision for you too. Perhaps your knee will settle down soon and you can hop back on the trail with Edit and Elke! Hope to see you in the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I loved hiking with you! Thanks for sharing a part of your excellent adventure with me! Edith, Thanks for getting me started with this whole wonderful challenge of backpacking in the first place. I can't wait to get out there with you guys again!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete