Tuesday, May 22, 2012

 Since coming back from AZ we've had only one day of rain and the weather has been wonderful for hiking. At each shelter we've met interesting and entertaining hikers and have had a great time. We had been increasing in confidence and strength daily.  Then on May 20, Edith fell and hurt her arm. We wrapped it and continued hiking up Bluff Mountain. As it was still hurting there, and we had phone service, we called a shuttle to pick us up at the next road. That night we spent in a hostel, and as her arm was worse in the morning, we got a ride in to Waynesboro, VA to the doctor. Sure enough, her arm was broken. It's now in a blue cast. The choices were blue, purple, and camo! We'll spend the next several days slack packing ( hiking without a pack and coming back to a hostel to spend the night). Our plan is to continue hiking and we should be in Shenandoah National Park in about a week. Our adventures continue!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my! I guess it's not the absolute worst news, but it sure ain't good! E- 5 teachers are retiring from Dan Mills, including Kathy and Nina and the guy you taught with in first grade. Crap, what's his name? Anyway, everyone wants out! I can't imagine how life is for you - I am so jealous!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry Edith! Iam sending big hugs. Man, I'm glad you guys had cell service. I can't wait to come hug you guys in person and join in on the adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the bear!?! So sorry about your arm, but glad to hear you are able to continue! Mathew & I are excitedly awaiting the details of your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not camo Edith geez. Glad your trooping on, sorry about the arm but hey thats why God gave you two :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've enjoyed following your journey. We're green with envy! Ya'll are our heroes! A regular Lewis and Clark! You will be in our thoughts and prayers! Hope Edith's arm is recovering and that all your hills are "downhill" or better yet, level! Keep good notes! I can't wait to read the book! Happy Trails to You! Hike your hike! Eddie aka "the Original Louisiana Mountain Boy"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi to my two favorite aunts! I have been anxious about how things are going! I asked Mom if she thought I could convince you to come to my house for a few days and she said she didn't think so. You are close to DC! Do you think it would be possible to meet up with you and hike for the weekend? I could be your Sherpa for a couple of days! Let me know! XOXO HLBM

    ReplyDelete